the second in dimensions island of Greece, covers an area of 6.660 km2, is
175 km long and 6-50 km wide and has a coastline of 678 km. It is connected
with the mainland by two bridges, one of which is in Euripus sound - and
moves inwards to allow ships to sail through the sound- and the other is
fixed, constructed in the middle of the island, where Halkida, the capital
of the island is located. On the northern and the southern part, there are
ferries, helping the transportation to the mainland.
Our island is mentioned a lot in Greek mythology.
The name "Evia" which is today the official name of the island, is given by
Homer, and indicates the fertile grounds and the advanced animal husbandry
for which the island was famous for. "E? ß???" in Greek means "vigorous ox".
In Oreoi of Evia, there is a massive exhibit of marble representing a bull
and was found at that area. Its presence must be connected to the
appellation of the island. The sanatory thermal baths of Aidipsos, were
created by Athena and Hephaestus for the sake of Hercules, who was restoring
his strength after each great achievement of his by bathing in the thermal
springs of Aidipsos.
The wife of Hercules, Dianeira, when she learned that the semi- god husband
of hers is in love with beautiful Ioli, she prepared for him a robe with the
poisonous blood of centaur Nessos, who had died by the deadly arrows of
Hercules that were soaked in the poisonous blood of the monster Hydra. The
dying centaur had misinformed Dianeira, that if her husband cheats on her,
once he touches his blood he would be in love with her again. The blood of
Hydra had the property to "eat" the flesh and infect the blood of the one
who would touch it, until he died. But Hercules had immortal blood in him,
so he couldn't die, but he was driven mad from the insufferable pain! In his
madness, he grabbed his servant, Lihas, the one who had delivered him the
robe, and through him up in the air. Poor Lihas fell to the spot where the
Lihadonisia are located, which are said to have formed in a way his body
with their shape. On the peninsula of Lihada,- where our village is also
located- there was a colony of Ancient Athens : DION ATHENA, a place of very
good climate, which was producing since ancient times wine of fine quality.
The most, as well as the oldest Greek colonies in Italy and Sicily, were
founded by Chalkida and Eretria, cities that still exist. A lot of people
are unfamiliar to the fact that 8 of the letters of the present Latin
alphabet CDFLPRSX, belong to the preceeding Chalkidic Alphabet which was
created by the colonies of ancient Greece.
On the island of Evia, there are a lot and important churches and
monasteries. The most renown among them is that of Saint John (Agios
Ioannis) the Russian, in Prokopi. Saint John, (IBAN) was born in Russia in
1690. During the Russian-Turkish war, in 1711, he was taken as a prisoner
and became a slave of a Turkish officer who transferred him in his homeland,
Prokopi of Kapadokia.
Grate is the number of miracles that are reported from Turks and Christians
during the life of Saint John. The descendants of the Turkish officer still
preserve a plate, which was miraculously transported in MECCA, where the
master of Saint John was praying and had wished for a plate of pilaf. On the
27th of May in 1730, Saint John died from the hardships in the age of 40.
Three years later, and during the accustomed exhumation, the Turks, as well
as the Christian residents, were seeing light coming out of the grave on
Saint John. When the exhumation took place, the astonished witnesses,
Christians and not, observed that the body was intact and redolent. The
Turks were startled, but as they didn't want to admit the miracle tried to
burn the body of the Saint, but they couldn't. The body of Saint John is in
the church in Prokopi. The arm on the Saint is kept in the Russian Holy
Monastery of Agios Panteleimonas of Agion Oros (Mount Athos) and is included
in the monasteries holy relics.
The phenomenon of the Sound of Euripus is also astonishing. It joins the
Northern and the Southern Gulf of Evoikos. The visitor can watch the water
direction at the Sound changing regularly every 6 hours, and accordingly the
water level in the one gulf rises and in the other falls.